Create Your Own Familiar Writing Game - Template
Make Your Own Familiar Writing Game - Template
1. What kind of animal is your familiar?
2. Is your familiar a boy or a girl?
3. How old is your familiar?
4. What’s your familiar’s magical talent?
5. What’s your familiar’s name?
6. Where does your familiar live?
7. What other kinds of animals might live there, too?
8. Is your familiar friends or enemies with that other animal?
9. What makes your familiar sad? What makes your familiar happy?
10. What is the title of your story?
Things to keep in mind after answering these questions and writing your story:
Every familiar should want something. Whether it’s to save their wizards, find food or shelter, or escape their enemy, they need to have a goal.
After you have established the hero’s goal, you need to have an antagonist, or obstacle, keeping that hero from achieving his or her goal. It could be a person, an element – like a violent storm – or an emotion, like fear.
Another thing you should consider while writing this story is how your familiar’s magical talent might be able to help them achieve their goal and overcome the antagonist or obstacle keeping them from achieving it.
Here’s an example:
1. What kind of animal is your familiar? An elephant
2. Is your familiar a boy or a girl? A girl
3. How old is your familiar? 12 years old
4. What’s your familiar’s magical talent? Time travel
5. What’s your familiar’s name? Black Hawk
6. Where does your familiar live? China
7. What other kinds of animals might live there, too? Pandas
8. Is your familiar friends or enemies with that other animal? Enemies
9. What makes your familiar sad? What makes your familiar happy? It makes our familiar sad when she doesn’t have enough peanuts to eat.
10. What is the title of your story? Panda Strikes Back
Now that you’ve answered these questions, you need to write your story! Remember that your familiar needs a goal, an obstacle to achieving that goal, and a magical talent that will help them overcome that obstacle.
“Panda Strikes Back”
For Black Hawk, an elephant in China, life could be difficult - even when you have the magical power to travel through time. First, China is practically covered with panda bears, and as we all know panda bears and time traveling elephants do not get along. Especially when one of those panda bears eats the last of Black Hawk’s peanuts. And you never want to make an elephant hungry. But this was a clever elephant, one that knew how to use her magical talent the way any good familiar should. So she decided to travel through time to a baseball game where she knew there would be stands and vendors filled with peanuts, and she would never go hungry again.
What is Black Hawk’s goal? To find peanuts so she wouldn’t be hungry.
What’s the obstacle to achieving that goal? Her enemy, the panda bear, ate them all.
What talent does she use to overcome that obstacle? She travels through time to a baseball game!
Now you try. And be sure to send your stories to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
May Watts Elementary School
Learn More About May Watts Here!
"Egnor's Big Break for Magic Tacos"
Egnor, a 16 year old chicken who lived in a barn in Wisconsin, wanted nothing more in life than to eat a magic taco. But magic tacos were not easy to come by in this barn. And to make matters worse, Gori the Gorilla lived in the barn (along with Andrew's family). Gori made it a habit of eating every magic taco -- or burrito -- he could get his hands on.
Yet Egnor had a plan. Using her magical ability of creating weather disturbances (tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes), she caused a massive windstorm that ripped the barn right up out of the ground. Gori was blown away in a violent swirl of wind and thrown far away, allowing Egnor to take a trip to Mexico - or New Mexico - to finally have that magic taco she always dreamed of.