Create Your Own Familiar Writing Game - Template
Make Your Own Familiar Writing Game - Template
1. What kind of animal is your familiar?
2. Is your familiar a boy or a girl?
3. How old is your familiar?
4. What’s your familiar’s magical talent?
5. What’s your familiar’s name?
6. Where does your familiar live?
7. What other kinds of animals might live there, too?
8. Is your familiar friends or enemies with that other animal?
9. What makes your familiar sad? What makes your familiar happy?
10. What is the title of your story?
Things to keep in mind after answering these questions and writing your story:
Every familiar should want something. Whether it’s to save their wizards, find food or shelter, or escape their enemy, they need to have a goal.
After you have established the hero’s goal, you need to have an antagonist, or obstacle, keeping that hero from achieving his or her goal. It could be a person, an element – like a violent storm – or an emotion, like fear.
Another thing you should consider while writing this story is how your familiar’s magical talent might be able to help them achieve their goal and overcome the antagonist or obstacle keeping them from achieving it.
Here’s an example:
1. What kind of animal is your familiar? An elephant
2. Is your familiar a boy or a girl? A girl
3. How old is your familiar? 12 years old
4. What’s your familiar’s magical talent? Time travel
5. What’s your familiar’s name? Black Hawk
6. Where does your familiar live? China
7. What other kinds of animals might live there, too? Pandas
8. Is your familiar friends or enemies with that other animal? Enemies
9. What makes your familiar sad? What makes your familiar happy? It makes our familiar sad when she doesn’t have enough peanuts to eat.
10. What is the title of your story? Panda Strikes Back
Now that you’ve answered these questions, you need to write your story! Remember that your familiar needs a goal, an obstacle to achieving that goal, and a magical talent that will help them overcome that obstacle.
“Panda Strikes Back”
For Black Hawk, an elephant in China, life could be difficult - even when you have the magical power to travel through time. First, China is practically covered with panda bears, and as we all know panda bears and time traveling elephants do not get along. Especially when one of those panda bears eats the last of Black Hawk’s peanuts. And you never want to make an elephant hungry. But this was a clever elephant, one that knew how to use her magical talent the way any good familiar should. So she decided to travel through time to a baseball game where she knew there would be stands and vendors filled with peanuts, and she would never go hungry again.
What is Black Hawk’s goal? To find peanuts so she wouldn’t be hungry.
What’s the obstacle to achieving that goal? Her enemy, the panda bear, ate them all.
What talent does she use to overcome that obstacle? She travels through time to a baseball game!
Now you try. And be sure to send your stories to email@example.com.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Liberty Elementary School
Learn More About Liberty Here!
“Riding the Waves”
Missy the Monkey, who had the magical ability to control the waves, lived a lonely existence in the Amazon.
The only companion that she had was a snake who wanted nothing more than to eat her. And with all of the vegetation of the Amazon, the one fruit it was missing was bananas – sweet, delicious bananas. It left Missy with little choice but to escape the Amazon and her mortal enemy the snake to search for bananas in a supermarket. She could make the waves carry her to store that carried bananas, but she knew there would be many dangerous obstacles along the journey. So she was forced to team up with the snake, for a familiar should never go on an adventure alone.