Create Your Own Familiar Writing Game - Template
Make Your Own Familiar Writing Game - Template
1. What kind of animal is your familiar?
2. Is your familiar a boy or a girl?
3. How old is your familiar?
4. What’s your familiar’s magical talent?
5. What’s your familiar’s name?
6. Where does your familiar live?
7. What other kinds of animals might live there, too?
8. Is your familiar friends or enemies with that other animal?
9. What makes your familiar sad? What makes your familiar happy?
10. What is the title of your story?
Things to keep in mind after answering these questions and writing your story:
Every familiar should want something. Whether it’s to save their wizards, find food or shelter, or escape their enemy, they need to have a goal.
After you have established the hero’s goal, you need to have an antagonist, or obstacle, keeping that hero from achieving his or her goal. It could be a person, an element – like a violent storm – or an emotion, like fear.
Another thing you should consider while writing this story is how your familiar’s magical talent might be able to help them achieve their goal and overcome the antagonist or obstacle keeping them from achieving it.
Here’s an example:
1. What kind of animal is your familiar? An elephant
2. Is your familiar a boy or a girl? A girl
3. How old is your familiar? 12 years old
4. What’s your familiar’s magical talent? Time travel
5. What’s your familiar’s name? Black Hawk
6. Where does your familiar live? China
7. What other kinds of animals might live there, too? Pandas
8. Is your familiar friends or enemies with that other animal? Enemies
9. What makes your familiar sad? What makes your familiar happy? It makes our familiar sad when she doesn’t have enough peanuts to eat.
10. What is the title of your story? Panda Strikes Back
Now that you’ve answered these questions, you need to write your story! Remember that your familiar needs a goal, an obstacle to achieving that goal, and a magical talent that will help them overcome that obstacle.
“Panda Strikes Back”
For Black Hawk, an elephant in China, life could be difficult - even when you have the magical power to travel through time. First, China is practically covered with panda bears, and as we all know panda bears and time traveling elephants do not get along. Especially when one of those panda bears eats the last of Black Hawk’s peanuts. And you never want to make an elephant hungry. But this was a clever elephant, one that knew how to use her magical talent the way any good familiar should. So she decided to travel through time to a baseball game where she knew there would be stands and vendors filled with peanuts, and she would never go hungry again.
What is Black Hawk’s goal? To find peanuts so she wouldn’t be hungry.
What’s the obstacle to achieving that goal? Her enemy, the panda bear, ate them all.
What talent does she use to overcome that obstacle? She travels through time to a baseball game!
Now you try. And be sure to send your stories to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Grant Elementary School
Learn more about Grant here!
“I Want to be Justin Bieber”
Once there was a mind-reading duck who lived in the ponds of Paris.
When animals would ask his name, he refused to state his real name. Instead, he wanted to only be referred to as Justin Bieber. Others thought he was ridiculous, none more so than his mortal enemy, a platypus that lived in the same pond. The duck wanted more than to just be called Justin Bieber. He wanted to be Justin Bieber.
But there was little chance for a duck in Paris to become a pop music sensation. So one day, he used his magical talent of readingt he mind of the platypus and discovered that the platypus had family in Hollywood, California. He decided his only hope of reaching his dream was to team up with his enemy and escape the ponds of Paris for Hollywood.